Sunday 8 May 2011

Update....

OK so thought I would write a general update on what's been going on!  I've found it a bit difficult at times this week to be honest, not really been myself all week but I think it's largely due to missing Gem after having her here for 2 weeks!  Feeling a bit better now after some sun this weekend so hopefully I'll be back to firing on all cylinders this week.  Work wise, we've all been working long days this week as we are having a mammoth spring clean of mango house, everything has been sorted through, cleaned and organised which has taken forever but I think we are getting there.  It is summer holidays here so we have also been busy filling 1000 pencil cases for the children, the only way to do it was to make a proper production line, with gaffer Rob cracking the whip!  I do have a picture but don't have the memory card with me with it on so will have to add it later. 
We took the children on a trip to the waterpark on Wednesday this week which was brilliant, definitely my favourite trip so far.  They had such a good time going down all of the slides, splashing each other and trying to learn to swim.  Our skin all looked like prunes after all day in the water and children and volunteers alike were fast asleep on the bus on the way home.



My sleeping sickness is contagious!

On Friday, one of the volunteers was leaving and so we had a party down at the Karaswada slum, complete with face paints, make up, music and chocolate.  I was on make up duty which involved applying glittery eyeshadow and bright pink lipstick to lots of little faces, who then spent ages admiring themselves in the mirror, little girls are the same the world over hey! They then decided to turn make up artists themselves which meant we all got covered in facepaints and glitter and had our hair styled, they were so sweet though and were so gentle when they were applying our make up with an intense look of concentration on their little faces!
Nothing much else to report at the moment, had a quiet weekend on the beach this weekend which has done me the world of good I think.  I worked out that I've been here 7 weeks now which has gone so quickly.  I think I'm having a phase which I knew I'd have at about this time where I'm sort of settled and used to everything but it suddenly feels like forever since I've seen everyone so am starting to miss my friends and family.  The children make up for it though, I've had some of the best cuddles of my life from them this week! Bye for now..... x



1 comment:

  1. I love the photos of you with the children Liz!

    ReplyDelete