Sunday 26 June 2011

latest rumblings...

Hello!  Amazingly, I only have one week left at CWT now, it has gone so quick in a way but it also feels like years since I left home.  The rain continues to fall here, although it's been really hot recently, and so we are still running afternoon sessions in the little school room at the slum.  I swear my ears are ringing when I leave some afternoons... the other day, I attempted to teach the older ones how to play 'wink murder', they sort of grasped it although when they all stare unblinkingly at the 'murderer' it sort of makes the detective's job not that tricky! 
The kids are back in the school routine now for the most part.  Although one little boy, who has just started school, has already been in trouble for running out and coming home and only seems to attend occasionally.  Bhakti, the Indian teacher at the charity, has spoken with his parents who are apparently not keen on him going to school in the first place.  This seems difficult to understand but I guess is just another example of the difference in culture.  The charity will try to encourage the parents to send him to school by offering incentives and by taking back his school bag which he was given so fingers crossed.
I have been busy at the mango house recently, putting together a set of PSHEE/SEAL type activities which could be run with the older children on topics such as bullying and sex and relationships education.  It was something that I wanted to be able to do myself but it has just not been do-able.  However, if we finally get the licence back to have children at the mango house, then future volunteers could have a go if they wished.
I am looking forward to leaving Goa now to be honest, much as I've loved it, I feel like I've spent enough time here and I want to see what some of the rest of India is like.  I've also just about had enough of the constant hassle from men here, although it may be even worse up North, heaven forbid....On the bus the other day, the conductor came over and sat next to us and showed me a picture he'd taken on his phone of me and Emily, another volunteer.  We were both totally unaware of it being taken and it was taken some time ago.  I made him delete it but he bizarrely couldn't see what the problem was and seemed to think I'd be flattered!  I seem to spend more and more time covering my face when men lean out of cars trying to take pictures of me, ooh it's a good job I'm not famous I'd never cope!
Out of work, we played at being 'daytrippers' last weekend and went to visit a spice farm (did you know cinnamon and bay leaves came from the same tree?!) and then onto Chandor, which has some amazing Portugese mansions which the owners showed us around.  The ballrooms were just too stunning not to have a quick waltz round, it was like being Elizabeth Bennett for 5 minutes! 
We tried to see a hindi film at the cinema yesterday but only lasted until the interval as by then none of us had the foggiest idea what was happening, still it was an experience, the style of the film reminded me of pantomime- all slapstick comedy and over exaggerated expressions and movement.  I do love how they play the Indian national anthem before every film though and everyone has to stand up, can't see it working at the odeon on Broad Street somehow! 
 Potting up the curry and rice.
 Bhakti, the Indian teacher and Saroja, the amazing cook.



 daytrippers
 braganza fernandes house
morning school....



 shopping is a colourful experience...


No comments:

Post a Comment